These delicious Apple and Blackberry Scones are light and fluffy and stuffed full of fresh fruit! There is no such thing as a perfect scone recipe – as long as they are not overworked, then it all gets a bit subjective…
Some people love their scones feather light, billowing and rustic looking (well hey there, me too!) some prefer recipes with eggs (for me they are a bit too cakey). So, what about 50% lard or all butter scones (50% lard tasted better but I can’t)? Then it’s a question of no sugar or sugar ? It’s true, some love scones savoury enough to load on heaps of jam. I’ve used a little sugar to balance out the tart blackberries and homegrown apple.
So here is my great English scone, in all it’s rustic glory. Serve with clotted cream and blackberry jelly.
Now, don’t expect an towering triumphs from a scone recipe with pieces of fresh fruit holding it down.
How to make Apple and Blackberry Scones
- 350g superfine flour (plus extra to dust your surface)
- 1 heaped tsp bicarb of soda
- 2 heaped tsp cream of tartar
- 45g sugar
- 100 salted butter (chilled)
- 140g milk
- 1 apple
- 6 large blackberries
- squeeze of lemon
PIN this to you recipe board!
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC
- Sift the flour, Bi Barb and cream of tartar into a large bowl.
- Get the butter out the fridge, cut into smallish squares and rub it into the flour mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Peel and core the apple. Cut into small squares. Add into a small bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon over the apples.
- Cut the blackberries into 1/2 or 1/3 if really big.
- Stir the fruit into the flour mix.
- Add in the milk until you create a soft dough and bring it together into a ball.
- Add it to a floured surface and press it out until it is about 2.5cm thick.
- Press the scone shapes out using a 7cm cutter (do not twist the cutter).
- Makes 6 scones.
- Place onto a lightly buttered baking tray, brush the tops with a little milk and place in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden.
Load with clotted cream and blackberry jelly to these Apple and Blackberry Scones, or the other way round!
Let’s stay connected!!
Other tea-time recipes for you to try
Claim Your FREE Travel Guide & Checklist
Claim your free travel guide and checklist and be sent weekly posts on travel, recipes and more! Helping to make your midlife more fabulous.