I have a weird crush on healthy treats. I get excited by the combination of indulgence and doing ones self good in the same bite. It feels the same when you feed these healthy gluten free breakfast cookies to your loved ones. There’s a ‘hi honey, here’s a homemade breakfast cookie!’ Like whoa! that’s so naughty, I like it! Then there’s the, ‘you can even have 2 because they’re gluten free cookies filled with fruit and seeds‘. Yes, pumpkin is a fruit (really!), adding to the sweetness of the cookie naturally. These breakfast cookies might just be the perfect breakfast treat! They also make a grab and go healthy snack.
Store your health packed breakfast cookies an airtight container and they’ll last all week. Well they would, if they weren’t so delicious! Soft cookies full of crunchy seeds and chewy fruit. They are sweet, but not too sweet with a flavour that hints at carrot cake.
How to make healthy gluten free breakfast cookies
- 85g salted butter
- 115g maple syrup
- 90 gluten free oats
- 80g dried blueberries/cranberries/cherries whatever rocks your boat!
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 40g gluten free quick polenta
- 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- 140g pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Melt the butter along with the maple syrup in a small saucepan gently.
- Add the butter mix to the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and give it a good ol’ stir.
- Leave for a while until the mixture gets less lose. The oats and polenta will absorb a lot of the moisture making it easier to handle. Turn the oven on to 170ºC and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once the mixture has stiffed (10 minutes – 1/2 hour), add the 2 eggs and stir them in until mixed in thoroughly.
- If you decide it’s too wet to put onto your baking sheet, leave for another 10 minutes or what ever it needs, it will stiffen up, I promise.
- Spoon out the mixture into 12 cookie shapes, then place into the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a rack, before placing them into an airtight container.
Pin for later!
Other healthier treats