Shortbread makes a great edible gift for foodies at Christmas time. I’ve made this large shortbread wreath with white chocolate, cranberries and pistachio. It’s big enough to make a generous present (it serves 6). Giving homemade food as Christmas presents is always personal. It also makes a lovely festive centrepiece ready for when guests come to visit.
This recipe is divine. It’s soft and melt in your mouth buttery and it looks wonderful too with a sprig of holly. It pretty easy and takes little time to make.
PIN for later!
If you are gifting this large shortbread wreath you could either wrap it loosely with parchment paper, tie with string and pop that in a box, or you can simply hand it to your host as you arrive on a festive white, silver or gold coloured plate.
How to make a large shortbread wreath with white chocolate, cranberries and pistachio
- 150g unsalted butter (straight from the fridge)
- 60g caster sugar
- 145g plain flour, sifted
- 35g cornflower
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 15g golden caster sugar
- 15g dried cranberries + 3 more for decoration
- 15g pistachios + 15g for decoration, all chopped
- 150g white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150ºC and lightly butter a 15cm round tin.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes.
- Add the flour, cornflower, caster sugar and salt into a bowl, stir together.
- Tip in the butter and rub between your fingers until you have breadcrumbs, then add in the cranberries and pistachios (not the ones for decoration)
- Bring it all together until you have a dough. Don’t work it more than necessary.
- Press it into your tin and place it into the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Remove from fridge and prick all over with a fork and add to the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Remove and prick all over again.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
Decorating a Christmas Wreath
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Have your pistachios, cranberries and holly leaves ready.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the edges of the wreath, leaving the centre bare.
- Sprinkle over the remaining pistachios, place the holly leaves where you want them and add a little more melted chocolate for the 3 cranberry ‘berries’. It will hold them in place when set.
There you have it – a large shortbread wreath with white chocolate, cranberries and pistachio – a perfect handmade gift for someone special.
Let’s stay connected!
Other edible gift / centrepiece ideas