This Simple Warm Berry Compote With Yogurt makes a perfect satisfying morning snack. It is also delicious enough to be a healthy dessert. I serve it with the compote warm so it is still wonderful in the colder months. I cook the blueberries and raspberries with just a little maple syrup so that the berries are still bursting with goodness and flavour, but the sweetness offsets the sour natural yogurt beautifully.
It is also an incredible pretty dish, and as you eat with your eyes first this of course is important. You could substitute the natural yogurt with something dairy-free for a vegan version. You could also miss out the maple syrup for a sugar-free version. But even when the berries are in season you may want it a touch sweeter against the sour yogurt. Sprinkle in granola for a heartier breakfast.
PIN for later!
You could make this simple warm berry compote with yogurt in about 10 minutes. So, it can be made last minute! Any spare can be stored covered in the fridge for a couple of days to grab later.
How to make simple warm berry compote with yogurt
- 300g blueberries
- 150g raspberries
- 1 – 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- small splash of water
- 500g natural yogurt
(makes 3 – 4)
- Place the blueberries, maple syrup and a small splash of water in a saucepan and cook on low until the berries are swollen and their juice has thickened.
- Add in the raspberries. Carefully stir them in. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Take the berries off the heat. Carefully taste and add more maple syrup if necessary.
- Add a spoonful of the compote to the bottom of each glass dish.
- Reserving 3 more spoonfuls, add the rest of the compote to the natural yogurt and swirl through.
- Fill up the glasses and top with the remaining compote. Serve.
It’s so satisfying having the compote warm. Honestly, try it!
I love coming up with berry recipes. Even some of my cocktails have a healthier twist to them, like my Raspberry And Blackberry Frozen Yogurt Daiquiri and my Summer Berry Eton Mess With Passion Fruit Cream – okay not exactly healthy but the are full of fresh berries!
Other healthy snack recipes