This decadent Walnut Tart with Coffee Mascarpone is easy to make. The base is a crumbly walnut shortbread shaped directly onto a baking sheet. The light coffee mascarpone is whipped so it’s silky and light with a hit of espresso. The nutty topping is a crunchy layer of honeyed hazelnuts and walnuts.
I love inventing desserts for dinner parties or a crowd during the Autumn or Winter months, they are so hearty and indulgent. The best nutty desserts, I guess, are healthy recipes. This one has some health giving ingredients and is a little healthier than the average dessert. I don’t mind, as you know, I’m certainly towards the wholesome scale rather than the vegan etc. A dessert is for indulging on after all…
PIN for later!
The crumbly walnut shortbread goes heavenly with the light coffee mascarpone. The honeyed nuts give a crunch and nutty sweetness.
If you like the flavoured of a Coffee and Walnut cake, you’re going to enjoy this.
The recipe is simple and quick, although there is a little refrigeration time. The base can be made in advance a stored for days.
How to Make Walnut Tart with Coffee Mascarpone
- 150g walnut pieces or halves
- 225g plain flour
- 150g unsalted butter, cold
- 55g icing sugar
- 500g mascarpone
- another 70g icing sugar
- 3tsp granulated coffee (or 1 shot of very strong espresso)
- another 150g chopped walnuts
- 100g hazelnuts
- another 50g unsalted butter
- 2tbsp clear honey
- Place 150g of walnuts in a food processor and whizz until finely ground.
- Now, sift the flour in a bowl and add the cold butter into the flour chopped into small pieces. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the ground walnuts and 70g of icing sugar.
- Stir in 2 tbsp of cold water and bring the mixture together with your hands, forming a dough. Careful not to over work it.
- Place some parchment paper onto a baking sheet and place the dough in the centre.
- Press the dough out into a 30cm round and crimp the edges using your thumb and index finger.
- Place the baking sheet into the fridge for 20 minutes while you heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 1/2 floz of boiling water over the coffee granules, mix then leave to cool.
- Beat the mascarpone, icing sugar and coffee together until you get firm peaks.
- Place the coffee mascarpone in the fridge until ready to use.
- When ready, place the Walnut shortbread in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Once the shortbread is baked and cooled you can lift it onto your serving dish.
- To make the honeyed nuts place the 50g of butter into a pan to melt. Add the remaining nuts and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the honey and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the coffee mascarpone over the walnut shortbread, spreading near to the edges with a knife.
- Once the honeyed nuts have cooled somewhat so as not to melt the cream cheese, stir it up getting the sticky honey all over the nuts and serve on top.
Walnut Tart with Coffee, done. Enjoy!
Let’s stay connected!!
Other desserts for Autumn or Winter
Claim Your FREE Travel Guide & Checklist
Claim your free travel guide and checklist and be sent weekly posts on travel, recipes and more! Helping to make your midlife more fabulous.