This healthy dinner recipe of Watercress Pesto Pasta With Fried Halloumi is a real go to meal. It is stuffed full of nutrient packed ingredients and is super quick to make, meaning it’s a great choice for week night suppers as well as being a satisfying dish for the weekend.
It is a real green goddess kinda meal, with watercress, avocado, basil and mint in the pistachio pesto (along with other nutritious ingredients). The avocado gives it a creamy texture without adding any cream. If you want to avoid carbs (I can’t. I simply don’t want to) then replace the pasta with courgette ‘pasta’, you know, the spiralized kind (you could always go 50/50).
I really loved fried cheese. I mean what’s not to like?! The crunchy sweet pistachios and sesame with the salty halloumi is divine. Chilli adds a real nice kick to this dish. You could remove the seeds if you prefer, but I think it adds an extra pizzazz. Lemon lifts the flavours and keeps the avocado flesh a nice bright green.
How to make Watercress Pesto Pasta with Fried Halloumi
- Enough spaghetti pasta for 2
- 5tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 avocado
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 heaped tbsp pistachios
- handful of watercress
- small handful basil
- small handful mint leaves
- 1 red chilli (seeded)
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 20g grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 thick slices of halloumi
- extra small handful of pistachios (toasted and chopped as topping)
- extra small handful of watercress (as topping)
- 1tbsp sesame seeds (as topping)
- In a food processor or blender combine the tahini, garlic, avocado, lemon juice, pistachios, watercress, basil, mint, red chilli and olive oil.
- Add the parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toast the pistachios for the topping, roughly chop and leave aside for now.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan with some olive oil. When hot add the halloumi slices and cook either side for 2 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta but reserve just a little cooking water.
- Add the watercress pesto to the pasta (with the cooking water if needed).
- Add the remaining watercress, the halloumi slices, toasted pistachios and the sesame seeds.
- That’s it! You’ve made Watercress Pesto Pasta. Enjoy!
Let’s stay in touch!!
PIN for later!
Other healthy dinner recipes