I wanted to do a twist on tiramisu and considered beer (too bitter) and cider (too weird) before I thought of a Bourbon Whiskey recipe. It turned out to be the best choice as bourbon is used in many delicious whiskey desserts and drinks like Kentucky Coffee and Irish Coffee with Bourbon.
I was looking for a fun dessert for Fathers Day, although this would be a great boozy recipe for any alfresco dining or romantic meal. The meaning of tiramisu is “pick me up”, “cheer me up” or “lift me up” and these individual desserts do just that with a shot of expresso coffee and whiskey to lift the spirits!
I wanted a really light and airy version, but if you want it thicker and creamer version I explain how in the method below.
This can be made ahead as the flavours develop more over night.
How to make Whiskey tiramisu
- 5 eggs, separated (room temperature)
- 170g caster sugar
- 300g mascarpone cheese
- 250g very strong cold coffee
- 4 tbsp bourbon Whiskey
- 36 small sponge fingers
- 100g 70% chocolate, finely grated
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. The mixture should be light and fluffy – it should leave a ribbon trail when dropped from the whisk.
- Add the mascarpone and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites until you get soft peaks, then fold into the mascarpone mixture (for the light as air version), gently whisk in (if you want a creamier version).
- Place a layer of sponge fingers into the base of a glass. Use 1/2 of the fingers.
- Pour the coffee and Whiskey into a small jug and pour 1/2 over the sponge fingers (they shouldn’t be completely soaked).
- Add a layer of the mascarpone mixture using about 1/2 of the mixture.
- Add another layer of the sponge biscuits, carefully pouring more of the Whiskey coffee onto them to soak in.
- Then add the final layer of mascarpone and finish with a sprinkle of finely grated chocolate.
Add to your Pinterest recipe board!
Let’s stay in touch!
Claim Your FREE Travel Guide & Checklist
Claim your free travel guide and checklist and be sent weekly posts on travel, recipes and more! Helping to make your midlife more fabulous.